The ÓÐÁÏºÐ×Ó Medicine Taster Day takes place in February (the 2024 date was Friday 16 February). This event is an opportunity to explore what it is like to study Medicine at ÓÐÁÏºÐ×Ó and Cambridge, including talks, Q&As and sample academic sessions from our Medicine academics and current students at ÓÐÁÏºÐ×Ó.
You can attend sessions either in person, or online, and you can indicate your preference when applying for a place.
Sessions normally will take place between 10:00-16:00, with the exact schedule to be confirmed (information will be sent via email in advance). This will include:
- Academic taster sessions and discussions
- Q&A including with current students and academics in Medicine at ÓÐÁÏºÐ×Ó
- A talk on admissions
- Tour of the College and lunch (in-person)
Please note that whilst we hope to accommodate all interested people who are eligible for this event, we do expect it to be popular, and as such may not be able to accommodate everyone who wishes to travel to Cambridge due to the limited capacity of the physical space. Therefore, we may only be able to offer some students the opportunity to attend online, and they will be informed of other ways in which to visit us on an alternative date.
Places are for students only. There are no sessions for parents/carers or others who may choose to travel with you to Cambridge.
Sessions are streamed online via Zoom. Online attendees are able to ask questions and join in polls and discussion alongside the in-person attendees. You will not need a camera or microphone to participate, but we would recommend joining on a computer or laptop rather than a smartphone where possible.
A virtual tour option is available on the day for those joining online, and further information is provided about how you can visit ÓÐÁÏºÐ×Ó at another time whether as part of other open days, or on a date that suits you.
Those visiting in-person are responsible for getting themselves to Cambridge. Below you can find travel information and a map of the college. For students travelling a long way, limited accommodation may be available at ÓÐÁÏºÐ×Ó on the night before the visit day on a first come, first served basis.
To be eligible for this event, you must meet the following criteria:
- School: You are currently studying at a UK school
- Age: You are currently in Year 12 England/Wales, Year 13 Northern Ireland or S5 in Scotland; OR you are currently in your final year of school and will be applying to university on a gap year (i.e. you have not applied for university this year for 2024 entry, but will be applying for 2025 entry)
- GCSE/National 5 Attainment:
- GCSE: you have achieved 6 or more GCSEs including Mathematics and Sciences at grade 8, 9 or A*, including at least 4 GCSEs at grade 9 (or A* where letter grades still in use)
- National 5: a majority of As including As in all Maths and Sciences subjects
- Current Qualifications: You currently study Chemistry, plus two from Biology, Maths or Physics at either A-Level, Scottish Higher, Pre-U or at Higher Level in the International Baccalaureate*
- *Mathematics should be IB HL Analysis and Approaches option
The 2024 Medicine Taster Day took place on 16 February.
If you are think you might apply for a place on this event in February 2025, please check the eligibility criteria. It will be especially important to ensure that you pick school subjects for next year that will meet our subject requirements for Medicine.
Those offered a place will be expected to be available on the day, including those attending online - sessions will only be available live as they will be joining with the in-person attendees (there will not be recordings).